Pages

Monday, February 18, 2008

On a sunny Monday afternoon in Uganda...

Hello!! It's Monday. Life at Hopeland is amazing, as usual. God has been doing SO much in me this last week, as well as doing lots at the base. We have had some crazy times, and some not so crazy times. We have had massive rainstorms, with LOUD thunder, HOT days.. TONS of mosquitos (who are eating me alive) some injuries: Guy from South Africa was playing rugby and tripped and broke his collar bone. Steve from Uganda was playing soccer and collided with a Tongan and ended up with a broken foot. We have also had some nummy Pineapple (which I carried around in my purse!!) (my new favorite fruit) which we always manage to eat after dinner when the power is out. We sit on the porch, in the dark, and by the light of flashlights, cut a pineapple with a swiss army knife. Glorious. Amazing pineapple! I also had a jackfruit, which is amazing and tastes like candy! We had CHICKEN.. which was delicious, but also was just like hello, the entire wing of the chicken was just placed on my plate! Power outages and internet outages are still quite common, though the water situation has not been bad. PTL! We are also reading 10 chapters a day from the Bible. today we are on Numbers 4-13. As well as reading "Is that really you, God?" and "Daring to Live on the Edge" both of which I have read, so I am waiting until someone is done so I can skim their copy. We have played Uno a couple of times, and I learned a new card game last night called "sevens" though it is really called "cheat" for obvious reasons.. hahaha. I did laundry, african style, all by myself yesterday, and it came out well. On Saturday I was cooking, which, if you cook on the weekends, means you cook all 3 meals... it was fun, but I don't feel like I did much. We peeled "Irish" (regular potatoes" for two hours with large blunt knives (So blunt the had problems with cutting tomatoes) without handles.. which was quite an adventure. Last week we learned about quiet time and Bible meditation and hearing the voice of God. Our speaker was Margaret, and she was amazing. I learned SO much. This week we are learning about prayer and intercession. Our speaker is a guy named Jonathan. He is cool. We (Hopeland) sent a team to Kotomore, an IDP camp in the north last week. This morning we heard testimonies from the camp, it was amazing. God did amazing things there, and many people were saved. We are continuing to support the "baby" christians there, and several of us on DTS are praying that we will get to go there (God has given us hearts for the IDP camps) for our mini-outreach (next month, we will go somewhere for 2 weeks, so I will prolly be out of communication for that time) or even for our big outreach. Please keep that decision in your prayers! Umm. what else? Mark from Canada finally got his luggage (it had been lost on his flight over, about 2 weeks ago!) God has just been blessing us in so many ways, speaking and breaking down so many things in me. It's been quite exciting. We also have had several birthday parties ( Mercy took video for me. so I will show you when I get home. because good luck uploading a 30 minute video onto youtube with this internet connection!) it was crazy and fun. Yes, yes. life here is good. I am enjoying it, and growing in the Lord. We also started work duty, so I get to pull weeds for 2 hours almost every day. It's actually pretty enjoyable. I was thinking all about DTS while doing my homework yesterday, and I was reminded of a Worldview analogy: "it's like drinking from a firehose". SO true. SO much happening at once.. and so hard to communicate it all to you folks back at home. I hope I am doing an ok job of it. But, back to the firehose analogy.. that reminded me of a movie clip.. if you have ever seen the movie, UHF, you should know what I am talking about!! :D Oh, what more can I say? God is so GOOD and I am learning and growing SO Much. I have uploaded a few more pictures.. more to come.. so check this link again in a few days, hopefully there will be more.. but other than that.. i only have 10 minutes left until class starts and i should do a couple things.. if you have emailed me.. I am working on a response.! http://hs.facebook.com/album.php?aid=29628&l=4105d&id=505165798 and I don't know if I already gave you this link yet.. so have this one too: http://hs.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28782&l=beae1&id=505165798

Prayer Requests:
* DTS Unity. We are 37 strong, soon to be 38, some guy arrives from Nigeria today (why late? not sure)
*Mosquito bites.. my feet are disgusting, and they are starting to hurt
* I will be ready and available to recieve what God has for me
* outreach & miniout reach destinations.
* Healing for Guy and Steve
blessings!

4 comments:

Sara Sue said...

Good morning, sweet Kati. What a wonderful thing to read when I woke up...always look for your messages first thing every day. I'm sorry about the 'squito bites. You could pull the "Seattle look" and wear socks with your Crocs. Make the bugs work harder to bite you. I guess it's God's little reminder to take your malaria pills every day???
Your "drinking from a firehose" analogy makes perfect sense...and I think you're doing a wonderful job of communicating to us back home.
Kelso and I saw the Taylor family at Safeway last week and I told Sean about your blog. He said he was eager to read it, and likes keeping up with all "his kids."
I will email you more news. but for now: big hugs from Mom and Kelso.....oops, here comes Barney in the middle again!!!!
PS - I printed out a copy of your posts, through the last one, and gave it to Char. She says hello, and of course Gram sends her love.

Step-Mama to 4 said...

Kati!!!!
I miss you... So much has happened over the last couple of days...I bought a car and passed the written drivers test. So I am on my way... Now all I need is a name.. You are doing well at communicating. I miss you and I will pray

Stepho

Laurel said...

Hey Kati,

Great to read your blog and hear about all that God is doing in your life. Keep focused on Him.

As for those mosquito bites (here's the mama side of me) ... every mosquito can carry disease. Keep a close watch on the bites for redness, tenderness. Do not scratch (I KNOW how hard that is) as they can become open sores, which can invite infection. Do you have Mosquito repellent with 90-99% DEET? If not, we can try to send you some.

Your rain and thunder showers sound wonderful. Jim asks the kids, every day here in Ghana, "Will it rain today?" They laugh at him. We are in the hottest part of the year here in Ghana. Hot and humid.

Love you MUCH and will keep you in our prayers! Can't wait for you to meet our new kids, they can use all the "big sisters" they can get. :)

Mama D.

Cassie said...

hey jati k.
i miss you. Lynden is not the same with out your smiles.

i am praying for you and i hope you have an amazing time! God will show up in so many ways... i'm excited to hear about it.

love ya much,
cass