Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2008

chillin... in africa... actually it's more like roasting!

Hello! Life in africa is fabulous and HOT! Our DTS class is now 9 strong. Over night we added Penny (from South Africa), Mirijam & Matthijas (A married couple from the Netherlands), and Ryan and Tim from (Saskatchewan). Wohoo! My gmail is not working at the moment... nor has worked all day... so... please be patient for me to respond to emails. Well, yesterday afternoon I was finally able to upload some photos.. I just put them on Facebook because that is easiest. So if you follow these links, you can see them. I will try and add more later. http://hs.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28697&l=5a25f&id=505165798, http://hs.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28698&l=94a1d&id=505165798.

Last night we also had a few more adventures. We had my now favorite meal.. Chapatis (fried tortillas), rice, beef, and pineapple. YUM. Then just after I had finished washing my plate, post dinner, the power went out. Praise the Lord, none of our computers were plugged in at the time! The power was only out for 15 minutes or so (yay!) so then I went to the Common Room with Rachel (staff), Anthony (ABC student), Kendra (on my DTS) and Catherine (also on my DTS) to watch a movie. We decided on Dream Girls.. but after about 20 minutes I was suddenly exhausted and went to bed. Apparently the movie was not a favorite among other people as well. Oh well. We're going to try and watch another after dinner tonight.

Today I had amazing devotions! (YAHOO!!) And then headed for breakfast with Katy (staff) and Penny. Then I ended up talking to Jeffery (From Kenya, here for SBS) and Valence (from Uganda, also here for SBS). Valence is HILARIOUS, and super cool. He asked me a million questions, but he just has such a heart for Jesus and seeing people, especially young people, becoming disciples and discipling others. Anyway so we got to talking and then over breakfast (which was fresh buns made by the Tongans and my new favorite breakfast!!) Jeffrey started talking about Kenya and everything that is going on there. He was there for a couple weeks over Christmas.. and what is happening is just sick. Most of it is not reported on the news or anything like that. So if someone says there is "peace" in Kenya.. they are very very wrong! Please join me in praying for peace in Kenya and the healing, peace, and justice that only comes through Christ. One of the coolest things that Jeffrey was saying was that he was having a hard time dealing with all the atrocities he has seen, things happening for no reason, and he was crying out to God about them. And he was reminded that God is GOOD. And He is the God of Justice. We have hope, because one day, He will make all things right! PTL!

After breakfast we went for a walk. we started out showing Penny around.. and then ended up going and trying to find this spectacular vantage point of Lake Victoria that we had heard about. We didn't find it, but we saw a lot of beautiful things anyway. We met Jane, a widow taking care of 6 grandchildren who are orphaned. She was amazing. She asked us to come back and pray for her soon. We also met James who is a guard for a school, and this girl and her brother Emmanuel.. (I wish I could remember her name)... who lived in this amazing house. I'll try and post pictures soon.

Alright..well it is just about time for my afternoon nap. then we are going to play volleyball before dinner. Hope everything is wonderful with all of you!
(if you scroll down two posts, there is one all about day 2 or was it three?) ha ha .

Ok..
blessings to you all!

2 comments:

Step-Mama to 4 said...

Passion Tea Lemonade :)!!!!! I miss you but everything sounds amazing, I can't wait to see the picture (my next stop) I will join you in praying for Kenya, And you are so right our god is GOOD!!!

love ya,
Stepho

Carissa said...

it would be great to see your pictures, but since i don't have facebook i'll use my imagination.the link didn't work, because you have to have an account to do anything on facebook.
hope your having an awesome time.

Carissa