Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Your faithfulness endures... even in London

Hello! So I am currently in England... chillin at Heathrow waiting to go on to Uganda! And what an adventure it has been thus far! My flight from Sea-Tac to London went well.. long.. but not bad. I had an entire row to myself so I got to stretch out and sleep.. or attempt to. I got really excited as soon as i looked through the clouds and realized that the land I saw was England! The plane could not land fast enough! (I saw Buckingham Palace.. and this weird building that I think you should find out about. It was shaped like a black artist's palate sitting atop a pie tin filled with teal something. (if it were a pie, it would be jello, but this was a building so obviously some sort of building material..))

Then I got to London, and this is where my faith was put to the test. I was supposed to meet Megan, a fellow DTS student, here before our flight to Uganda. We had planned to meet at our departure gate. The only problem is, Heathrow does not give out departure gate numbers until around two hours beforehand. Thus with an 9 hour layover in a HUGE airport we were in major trouble. I looked and looked and looked and looked and couldn't find her anywhere. Then I tried to use my laptop to see if she had emailed me.. and all the internet costs money. So I tried to pay for some.. but my funds for my trip that were in savings haven't been transfered yet! So I couldn't use the internet. Then I tried to use my phone card to call home, several times.. but the pay phones here don't work with pre-purchased phone cards! I had even gone to the airline's customer service desk and had them page Megan. I stood and waited for ten minutes, but I was pretty sure she hadn't heard. So here I was all alone wandering in this HUGE airport.. with no Euros... no debit card.. no phone.. no email... and no Megan. Yikes! But what I did have was God! Finally, hot, sore, and exhausted (it was about 4am Pacific time.. and I had gotten about 6 hours of sleep in the past 36) I sat down and poured out my heart. And just then, a louder announcement came over the intercom.. paging Megan. So I grabbed my stuff and hurried to the desk as fast as I could. Finally... there she was! A traveling buddy!

Things have still been a little sketchy here.. I ordered a 12oz Soy Chai Tea from Starbucks and it cost $8.00!! (this further reaffirms my support in Wood's.. yes, Starbucks, I will remember how you ripped me off in London when I return to whatcom county!) And to use the internet it's a Euro (which is a lot more than a dollar!) for "ten minutes", But, God is SO good and so faithful to me! On the plane ride here I was just overwhelmed so many times at just how awesome and powerful and majestic and huge He is! I am just reminded over and over that He is all I need- He is my everything!

and get this: in 4 &1/2 hours... I will be on a plane headed for Uganda! YAHOOO!!

love you, miss you, Blessings!!

[edit: I am now actually in Uganda.. I will update more later... but I have to recharge the battery before I can post more!)
(PS. IT'S AMAZING HERE. AND I AM TOTALLY JET LAGGED!!! )

4 comments:

Kelsey S. Johnston said...

Hey Kati! It turns out that the time difference wasn't quite what I thought it was and it was actually around 7:00 AM here when you arrived in London instead of 4 like I thought, but then again, maybe I was right. I'm still trying to figure out what the time actually was here when you were there, but that's life I guess. I had a snow day yesterday so I was watching the news and the Today show was live in London because they were having some big to do with Prince Andrew (or was it Edward? Uhh....) and they were talking about how he grew up in Buckingham Palace. It's funny how those things work out. How much of the city did you see? I'm kind of guessing that you didn't really go out and explore much since you had trouble meeting up with Megan and whatnot... Well, back on this side of the pond there is still a lot of snow on the ground, and there's ice in Pollman Circle and on the backroads and sidewalks and suchlike but for the most part it's all good. I called Gram after I read your blog and she was very excited to hear about your flight and that you saw the palace and she was worried because you didn't mention whether or not you got anything to eat at the airport. How was the plane food, anyway? I'm looking forward to reading your next update and maybe seeing some pictures (hint hint :) ). I think it's about 1:00AM for you right now, correct? I hope you're sleeping well and everything is going well so far. Love, Kelso.

Step-Mama to 4 said...

Kati!!!!
I never thought we would have an update :) I am so glad to read over your blog. The adventures you have already had.. I can't imagine all the cool things you got to see!!! I am of course lifting you up to your prince... Keep singing sister

Love ya!!!!
Stepho

Carissa said...

Hey Jati K!!!
i am s o glad that you are safe and sound in Uganda!!! how exciting!
i got to iChat with Jacob, Sarah and Rachel today!!!! it was so fun, we talked for about 45 minutes!!!
well...i am glad you are doing well. hope to see another post up soon!
love ya lots, Carissa

Jessi said...

Sounds like your adventures have begun already! I'll be praying for you daily.

Love,

Jessi