Pages

Friday, April 25, 2008

Week 12- Update

Week 12: (Thus Far)

Well, the rain has made a difference. The average temp in the morning & evenings has dropped to mid-low 70's. Which, is COLD.. considering our average temp before that was mid-low 90's. Nearly all this week I've been wearing jeans under my skirt, and a thick sweatshirt. This morning was the first sunny morning in like a week, which was really nice for quiet times.


Oh Outreach. I don't really want to write about this now, because nothing is for sure, but I also know that time is in a big crunch, and I don't know how much I will be able to update this. On Monday, outreach locations were posted. We also discovered, that the schedule has been wrong (for the 5th time now?) and that we aren't leaving May 19th, but May 10th. Which is just over two weeks from now! So, outreach will be six weeks instead of 5. (we come back June 19th). This whole thing has been a mess thus far... the way it was posted was really really dumb. So. I won't go into it. But, it does look like I will be going back to Fort Portal for 3 weeks and then to another place called Mitanya also for 3 weeks. (None of the outreach locations were outside of Uganda. And Pader was not on the list. However, that might change, with fervent prayer, so I am not giving up that one yet.) I will say, that so far we have an excellent team, and outreach looks like it will be a lot of fun, and that God will do amazing things. It's funny how much of a difference having a unified team makes!


Yesterday, Catherine, Penny and I went to town to pick up some stuff, like foil, for our Bible Verse Rap (so we can make some bling bling and possibly even grills.. hahaha) I also had my first boda boda ride, it was scary but fun too!


Oh, class this week... well, it has been on worldviews. Sort of. Only the last 35 minutes or so..(this is 2nd 1/2 of lecture on Wednesday!) so we've been keeping ourselves entertained in lots of ways. We've had more problems with completely crazy teaching. Yesterday our speaker went off on this tangent about Israel, and said that God will protect the country of Israel or He is not God. And basically stating that the existence of God is directly tied to the existence of the political country of Israel. Then he also said that the US will become a Muslim country if Israel is attacked by the muslims. WHAT?! I know. [oh, and speaking of the US and all sorts of political stuff... I just want the world to know... if Hillary Clinton becomes president of the United States, I am moving to Canada.]

Then we also spent a good 45 min-an hour arguing about weather or not it is sinful for women to wear trousers. This morning we had a 30 minute discussion on gender roles. And now... as usual... we are hearing the evils of homosexuality and lesbians (those are always two different things here.) (By the way, there is a HUGE preoccupation with sex here... every sin we hear about, every week, is always sexual sin. And many people here believe that all other sins are a result of / stem from sexual sin!! We're all just sick of hearing it.)


Thus far, this week has just been exhausting. With class full of not so good teaching, all the hysteria over outreach, and an emotionally taxing email from home, I am just drained.


Oh, and on Monday, while slashing, Tim, David & I got bitten by Safari Ants. (Think Lenningen & the Ants but not quite so large or scary, though if you don't pull them off, and you get enough of them, they will eat you alive.) They sting, but you just have to pull them off quickly, though they climb fast. So hope you discover them quickly.


On a lighter note, my feet are much much much much much, like a 1,000,000x better! My toe is basically healed, and the big sore has completely scabbed over and is just healing. I've finished my anti-biotics.. and things are going well.


Ok, are you ready for the most exciting news ever?

I just found out that... In July, we get to go with a team to do a 2 week outreach in Pader! YAHOOO. Talk about a dream come true, and the entire reason I wanted to come to Uganda for DTS. I just can't stop grinning! :D

No comments: